INT. HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT
Jack bursts inside, out of breath, runs to grab the phone,punches a number, doesn't bother to turn on the lamp.
INTERCUT WITH...
INT. MARLA'S ROOM - SAME
Marla answers.
MARLA: Yeah?
JACK: Marla, it's me. Have we... have we ever had sex?
MARLA What kind of stupid question is that?!
JACK: Because the answer's "yes" or because the answer's "no?"
MARLA: You mean, you want to know if I think we were just having sex or making love?
JACK: Answer the question!
MARLA: You fuck me, then snub me. You love me, you hate me. You show me your sensitive side, then you turn into a total asshole! Is that a pretty accurate description of our relationship, Tyler?
JACK (V.O.): We've just lost cabin pressure.
JACK: What did you say... ?
MARLA: What is wrong with you?
JACK: Say my name.
MARLA: What... ?
JACK: Say my name! What's my name!?
MARLA: Tyler Durden! Tyler Durden, you fucking freak. What's going on? I'm coming over there...
JACK: Marla, no, wait...
As Marla HANGS UP. Jack stares at the receiver, dazed...
Jack spins, dropping the phone -- TYLER sits beside him.
JACK: What's this all about, Tyler? Why do people think I'm you?
TYLER: You broke your promise. You talked to her about me.
JACK: Why do people think I'm Tyler Durden?
TYLER: Why did you do that?
JACK: Answer me, Tyler.
TYLER: Why do people think anything?
JACK: I don't know! Tell me!
Tyler shakes his head in disgust, extremely irritated.
TYLER: People think that you're me, because you and I happen to share the same body.
JACK: What... ?
TYLER: Is this really news to you?
JACK: What are you talking about...?
TYLER: Sometimes I control it, and you imagine yourself watching me...
FLASHBACK - HALLWAY - NIGHT
Commissioner Jacobs checks his tie in a mirror, goes to open the door of the MEN'S BATHROOM -- face to face with JACK.
FLASHBACK - LOU'S BAR BASEMENT - NIGHT
JACK stands surrounded by eager fight club MEMBERS, under the bare bulb, talking and behaving like Tyler...
JACK: The first rule of fight club is -- you don't talk about fight club.
INT. HOTEL ROOM - RESUMING
TYLER: And, sometimes you control it...
FLASHBACK - EXT. PAPER STREET HOUSE - DAY
Jack stands in the yard, VODKA in hand, yells at Marla.
JACK: He's not here! Tyler's not here anymore! He's gone away!
INT. HOTEL ROOM - RESUMING
TYLER: You can see me and hear me, but no one else can...
FLASHBACK - CURBSIDE - NIGHT
JACK sits alone on the curb, watching the nearby freeway.He talks to someone beside him, but nobody's there.
JACK: Anyone?(thinks)My boss, probably.(pause) Who would you fight?
Jack listens, looks at the empty space beside him.
JACK: Oh, yeah.(nodding)I didn't really know my Dad...
INT. HOTEL ROOM - RESUMING
TYLER: But, when you fall asleep, I do things without you...
FLASHBACK - TYLER'S BEDROOM - NIGHT
JACK is on top of Marla, sweating, making violent love...
INT. HOTEL ROOM - RESUMING
TYLER: I go places without you. Get things done...
FLASHBACK - BUILDING - NIGHT
The Parker Morris Building.
JACK, Bob, Ricky, Angel Face and another GUY rappel down the side, SPRAYING PAINT. JACK is "TYLER" in demeanor, mannerisms, speech...
JACK:(shouting) You are not your job. You are not how much money you have in the bank.
TWO WINDOWS SHATTER OUTWARD -- TWO MEN look out and yell:
BRUISED MAN #1: I am not my job!
BRUISED MAN #2: I am not how much money I have in the bank!
INT. HOTEL ROOM - RESUMING
Jack's having trouble catching his breath. Tyler stands.
TYLER: There! Happy? I asked for one thing from you... one simple promise. Now look what you've done!
JACK: This isn't possible...
TYLER: We're going to have to do something about Marla...
JACK: What... what are you saying?
TYLER: It's okay. We okay... a little codependent, sure, but...
Jack shakes his head in disbelief, in denial...
JACK: No! This isn't true. We... we were around other people, together, both of us...
TYLER: You never talked to me in front of anyone else.
JACK: Wrong, wrong -- what about the car crash... the two guys in the backseat?
TYLER: What about them? They're lunatics.
JACK: You took me to the house.
TYLER: The house is rented in your name.
JACK: You have jobs.
TYLER: Night jobs -- while you were sleeping.
JACK: What about Marla?
TYLER: What about Marla?
JACK: She's... you... you're fucking her.
TYLER: Um, well... technically, no.
Jack stands, trying to absorb, feeling ill, trying to find words, then -- he suddenly FAINTS to the floor, OUT COLD.
JACK (V.O.):It's called a "changeover." The movie goes on, and nobody in the audience has any idea.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment